The History of Grayway Coaches
The Grayway business can trace its roots back to 1933 when it started as Gray Brothers. Subsequent take overs were concluded by being absorbed by the then Shearings business and the emergence in 1969 of second-generation company, JRG Enterprises, which was run by Jim Gray.
When Mr. Gray’s son, Michael, became a director at the age of 21 in 1978, the Grayway name was adopted for the firm. Grayway operates some 30 coaches from its depot in the Wigan area. Its headquarters was previously based in Frith Street, Wigan, and the firm’s current principals are Michael Gray and his wife Janet who is also a company Director.
Michael and Janet’s son David joined business in 1998, at the age of 16 and is also part of the family business.
In 1999 Grayway Coaches of Wigan acquired Walls… also of Wigan, forming a 35-vehicle coach operation and ending 60 years of friendly rivalry. Coincidentally both businesses are third-generation, family-owned firms. Grayway coaches took over the company’s 15 vehicles, office, garage, tour programme and staff. Founded in 1926, Walls travel where a very well known coach company in the Wigan and surrounding area.
Grayway Coaches today: